Strava and payment

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ollii 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
29th September 2016 at 9:14 am #886

Ollii
Participant

Hi, great, that you moving on with the project :-).

As a future feature a connection to strava would be great. I think, that they have a hughe customer base with a lot of tracks. The question is what you will show, when a track has no google streeview footage (maybe only the map?).

For the payment it would be great if a user can choose between diffent ways. Monthly payments for frequent users, pay per mile via in app purchase for users who want to try it.

Maybe a free version with adds. For the add implementation you should avoid banners, becaus they are not clickable during the ride an due to the headset they had to be suitable for vr. Don’t know, if there are such banners on the web :-). Maybe you can interupt the ride every X km with a video? The tricky part her will be to play the add videos as side-by-side video. Don’t know how diffictlty this will be.

Regarding the headset you should offer in a kickstartercampaign a pledge without a headset. A lot of people, who are interested in this project will allready have one :-).

Bye, Oliver (miy.de)

29th September 2016 at 9:38 am #887

aaron
Keymaster

Wow! There’s a lot to think about here 🙂

I’d not heard of Strava before but it looks like there’s loads of great stuff to look at there, thanks. So I take it you use Strava yourself? Do you find it easy to connect to other people?

I like your ideas about different payment methods for different people. I know myself from experience I hate it when developers force me to pay in a way that I don’t like. Any thoughts about what you would personally prefer?

Also another great suggestion about the headset. This is definitely something I’ll be doing is offering different tiers in the Kickstarter. I wouldn’t want to force people to buy another headset if they already had one.

All great stuff thanks
Aaron

30th September 2016 at 8:47 am #899

Ollii
Participant

Well, strava is a realy big platform for cycling and runnig with the focus of the community. They offer a wide range of possibilities to intact together. So therefor it is worth a look. They’ve got also an api. Just take a lokk here: http://labs.strava.com/developers/

For the hardware: Maybe you should consider to launch an software-only project and give just recommendations about the best hardware to use. It would be much more easier for you to handle it. If I were you, I only would do hardware pledges if I find good a product I can sell with a good profit and which I can brand with my logo. If you just gonna be a reseller for a galaxy vr and a wahoo-sensor it would be easyer (and probably cheaper) for everyone to buy it by them self, because you don’t habe to pay taxes and international shipping fees.

Another advantage of a software only project is, that you can set the funding goal much lower because you don’t have to reach certain amounts of vr-units to get a low price for it.

For spreading the campaing to the world 🙂
As soon as you have a prototype which can run without much problems you should contact as many sports related blogs as possible to make an review. Best international blog for this in my oppinion is for example dcrainmaker.com. If you can convince Ray to write about it, you will have a hughe multiplier. (Of course I will write about it in my blog, but it is only a small to midsize blog in german :-)).

After the campaign: Try to communicate as often as possible to the backers. No one will complain about a weekly update, even if you only tell them, what function you have debugged in the week or give them Screenshots of your code. If you have problems, communicate them frank and early. Everyone will have understanding. Maybe someone is able to help you. If you are silent about a month everyone will going postal :-).

3rd October 2016 at 12:04 pm #908

aaron
Keymaster

So many helpful comments!! I could almost be convinced you’ve done a Kickstarter yourself 😉

A software only tier: Good idea. Yes I probably will do a software only tier however I’d be keen to keep the other tiers, not to make any money on them but to help customers buy a complete package without having to worry about getting the right parts to go with it. Some people just don’t want the hassle.

A working prototype : Another good idea. I’m actually planning on making a stand alone app with a single 10 minute route on it that anyone can download and try out. I could make sure it goes to reviewers a few days before release to help spread the word.

After the campaign : yes I agree, I hate campaigns that go silent. Of course I also don’t like them when they post boring rubbish every day so somewhere in the middle will be best.

Can you think of any similar campaigns you’ve enjoyed being engaged with?

4th October 2016 at 12:17 pm #913

Ollii
Participant

The software only tier is just a suggestion to minimize your effort for things, that doesn’t pay your rent :-). Handling the international shipping could be very exhausting. You have to consider that besides the packing and handling of the hardware you have also to deal with the complete retoure process, warranty with broken units, refunds, taxes, lost shipping and so on. An effort I only would dare when it pays off :-).

In my oppinion Ron Gilbert has done a great job regarding the communication with his thimbleweed park development blog (https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/). The advantage here is, that everyone can inform himself about the state of the project without beeing disturbed by to freqent updates on kickstarter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.