Exercise with friends

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  aaron 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
29th September 2016 at 10:27 pm #894

hungrybutterfly1
Participant

I am using a Garmin Vivosmart step counter. One of the options provided by Garmin’s “Garmin Connect” app allows you to compete, either, with a randomly chosen group of competitors (who wants to join the London Marathon, the Tour the France..?), your friends or by chosen segment (let’s say for example another person wants to vr-cycle the same route across the UK you are cycling right now and tries to beat your time – the challenge can be done within a defined time – f.e. a year – and does not have to be “live”).

29th September 2016 at 10:48 pm #897

aaron
Keymaster

Yep that’s something I’d love to put in is multiplayer. I’ve actually wanted someone to cycle across the uk with me. I can imagine seeing the other cyclists next to me in VR and we could talk about the things that we’re seeing. exciting!

22nd October 2016 at 2:14 pm #952

Edouard Lorenceau
Participant

As great as multiplayer would be, imo it should be a secondary feature. It’s a lot of work to get right, and it might make phones (Gear VR phones esp.) overheat

26th October 2016 at 1:42 pm #982

aaron
Keymaster

Yes you’re right, multiplayer is always much more work to get right. Whole new systems need to be in place to allow cyclists to join each other’s journeys. So this is absolutely something that will only be considered once the core systems are up and running. However I’m keen to get them going as soon as seems appropriate.

On the journey I’m doing right now I kind of feel like I’m cycling with someone anyway because I’m talking to the camera but without that I’d really appreciate company.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘overheat the phone’. Unless you mean because it would have to draw more 3D content? If that’s the case this would only be a very slight impact. I wouldn’t use particularly details 3D models and indeed the other riders could be reduced to a simplistic icon in the world if it DID turn out to be a problem. The important part is just having someone there with you and being able to talk to them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.